NEWS FROM THE WINTER EQUESTRIAN FESTIVAL
Palm Beach Polo Equestrian Club
SCHUYLER RILEY WINS $300,000 AGA CHAMPIONSHIP
WELLINGTON, FL - APRIL 8, 2001 - Schuyler Riley of Wellington captured top honors in the $300,000 AGA Championship, the richest event in U.S. show jumping history, Sunday at the Palm Beach Polo Equestrian Club.Riley out-dueled seven others in the jump-off, finishing with the only double-clear round aboard Ilian, an 11-year-old Dutch-bred bay gelding. The 29-year-old earned $90,000 for first place and, in a six-day span in the sport's two richest shows, took home $116,000. "Ilian is a superstar horse," said Riley after her eighth career major grand prix victory. "He's quite sensitive, with a lot of character. When we're on, he's a real threat out there."
Jeffrey Welles of Pound Ridge, New York, aboard Riviera, finished second with four faults and a time of 47.059 seconds over the nine-obstacle jump-off course. Todd Minikus of Loxahatchee, Florida, riding Oh Star, placed third with four faults and a time of 47.590 seconds. Seven-time AGA Rider of the Year Margie Goldstein-Engle of Wellington, aboard Hidden Creek's Laurel, finished fourth, with four faults in 50.45 seconds. All three knocked down the next-to-last obstacle.
Defending champion Alison Firestone of Upperville, Virginia, riding Royal Future, finished eighth, failing to become only the third rider to win consecutive AGA Championship classes.
$300,000 AGA National Championship, April 8, 2001
Palm Beach Polo Equestrian Club, Wellington, FL
Course Designer: Jose "Pepe" Gamarra, Bolivia
Place / Horse / Rider / Home / Score / Purse
1. Ilian / Schuyler Riley / Wellington, FL / 0-0-49.634 / $90,000
2. Riviera / Jeffrey Welles / Pound Ridge, NY / 0-4-47.059 / $66,000
3. Oh Star / Todd Minikus / Loxahatchee, FL / 0-4-47.590 / $39,000
4. Hidden Creek's Laurel / Margie Engle / Wellington, FL / 0-4-50.450 /
5. Royal Kaliber / Chris Kappler / Pittstown, NJ / 0-4-50.557 / $18,000
6. Rosina / Eric Lamaze / Canada / 0-5-52.526 / $15,000
7. Concetto / Meredith M. Beerbaum / 0-8-50.108 / $12,000
8. Royal Future / Alison Firestone / Upperville, VA / 0-10-53.118/ $9,000
9. Robinson / Richard Spooner / Burbank, CA / 4 / $9,000
10. Conawara / Kimberly Frey / Hume, VA / 4 / $6,000
11. Innocence / Beezie Madden / Cazenovia, NY / 4 / $6,000
12. Casanova / Donald Cheska / Cedarburg, WI / 4 / $6,000
Equiworld.Com Copyright Equiworld 2005. Equiworld is a registered trademark in the UK and/or other countries. Equiworld, Hayfield, Aberdeen, Scotland, AB15 8BB
To submit equestrian news items to Equiworld please visit, www.equiworld.com/horses/
To submit links to horse web sites please visit, www.equiworld.net/links/
Updated: October 2005.